#Aircel India Private Limited Career Option 4 February 2019

Written by govtjob


Friends, this is a very popular educational website in We Published daily educational newsNew jobs, CCC, Results, Call Letters, Jobs in Gujarat, Bank jobs in GujaratBank Jobs in IndiaGKGK GujaratCurrent Affairs, Daily Current Affairs, Latest Study Materials Useful Application in our site. Thanks for Visit.


Aircel India Private Limited Career Option: Aircel India was the joint venture between the Maxis Communications and Sindya Securities and Investments. The company was also one of the fastest growing mobile operator company in India as well. The company was one of India’s leading innovative mobile service providers with a subscriber base of 87.7 million and presence across 22 circles in India. Aircel offered Voice, Data, and Value Added Services (VAS) for both its prepaid and postpaid customers. Before choosing a career in the telecom sector, one should study deeply about companies in the market and their working. So In this article, we are going to see about Aircel India Private Limited and its History, Services, Business Solutions, Network Connectivity, Operations, Sponsorship, and Brand Ambassadors.

Aircel India Private Limited – Overview

Aircel India Private Limited Career Option

Aircel India Private Limited was an Indian mobile network operator that offered voice and 2G and 3G data services. The company had its headquarter located in Gurgaon. Maxis Communications held a 74% stake in the company and the remaining 26% held by Sindya Securities and Investments. Aircel was founded by Chinnakannan Sivasankaran and initiated its operations in Tamil Nadu in the year 1999. It was not only once a market leader in Tamil Nadu but also had a substantial presence in Odisha, Assam, and North-East telecom circles as well. 2G and 3G Services including voice were shut down in all circles because of failure in the merge with Reliance Communications.

History of Aircel India Private Limited

Aircel India Private Limited was established by Chinnakannan Sivasankaran from Kovilur, Cheyyar, Thiruvannamalai and begun its operations in the Tamil Nadu telecom circle in the year 1999. It not only became the leading telecom operator in Tamil Nadu but also one of the fastest growing mobile operators in India as well. Maxis Communications, the Malaysian telecom company, bought a 74% stake in the company from Sivasankaran in the year 2005. The remaining 26% stake was held by Sindya Securities and Investments promoted by Suneeta Reddy, Managing Director of Apollo Hospitals.

In the year 2012, as a part of a major re-organization in its operations, the organization scaled down its operations in five telecom circles, namely Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Kerala, and Punjab. In April 2015, Aircel relaunched its service in the state of Kerala. On 14th September 2016, Reliance Communications and Aircel declared the merger of their mobile network operations. Following the merger, the joint entity was expected to become India’s fourth-biggest telecom operator in term of customer-base and revenues. However, A year later, both the companies called off the deal citing regulatory and legal issues.

Aircel had planned to shut down its operations in unprofitable circles including, Gujarat, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Uttar Pradesh (West) from 30th January 2018. The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) asked the company to report the number of subscribers who have ported out from its services in these six circles. In scenarios, where the porting process could not be completed, TRAI has asked the reasons for it. After the failed merger deal with Reliance, Aircel had thought-out about merging with Bharti Airtel, whose chairman Sunil Mittal had stated in November 2017, that Airtel “was open to acquisition talks”. As of December 2017, Aircel was under of debt of around US$2.2 Billion (₹16,000 Crore).

Aircel India Private Limited Services

Aircel India Private Limited paid US$1.44 Billion (₹ 79.1 Billion) for the 3G spectrum in the auction held in India which ended on 19th May 2010. The company paid ₹ 65 billion for spectrum in thirteen circles which include Jammu & Kashmir, Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh, UP East, Bihar, Punjab, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Assam, North East, Odisha, Kolkata, and West Bengal. As of November 2012, the company has about 5 million 3G consumers. Aircel has launched its new price plans for its customers and is termed to be the cheapest plans in the country. Following the key players in 3G, Aircel also sliced its 3G tariff. Aircel became the launch partner for Apple iPhone 4 along with Bharti Airtel in the year 2011.

In June 2010, Aircel India Private Limited paid ₹ 34.38 billion for acquiring wireless broadband spectrum in eight circles which include Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar and Jharkhand, Jammu & Kashmir, North East, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and West Bengal. the company launched 4G services in Tamil Nadu and Jammu & Kashmir in August 2014. With the help of this, It became the only private telecom operator to offer all the three existing technologies of 2G, 3G, and 4G in the markets. ZTE, Chinese equipment maker,  announced on 30th December 2013, that it had won a deal to redistribute a 4G broadband network based on LTE technology for Aircel. The LTE (Long-Term Evolution) network launched in Tamil Nadu and expanded later to other circles. On 16th July 2014, the company launched 4G services in four circles which include Andhra Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, and Odisha.

Business Solutions

Aircel Business Solutions (ABS), part of Aircel, sold enterprise solutions such as MPLS VPNs (Multiprotocol Label Switching Virtual Private Networks), VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol7) and managed video services on wireless platforms including WI-MAX.

Network Connectivity

Aircel India Private Limited offered poor network coverage in Delhi & NCR circle. It used radio link time out technology without which the call drop rates will be undoubtedly higher and many customers reported this. In a 2015 survey conducted by Mint and InstaVaani in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, and Kolkata, it was found that Aircel offered the best service among all the telecom providers in the respective cities.

Operations of Aircel India

As of December 2017, Aircel India Private Limited not only had a subscriber base of over 84.93 million but also was India’s sixth-largest GSM mobile service provider as well. With the presence in 22 circles, the company was a market leader in Tamil Nadu and had a reasonable presence in Odisha, Assam and North-East circles. In the year 2012, as a part of a major re-organization in its operations, the organization scaled down its operations in five telecom circles, namely Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat, Haryana, Kerala, and Punjab. In April 2015, the company also relaunched its service in Kerala.

Sponsorship and Brand Ambassadors

Aircel India Private Limited was the main shirt sponsor of IPL franchise Chennai Super Kings as well as I-League football team Shillong Lajong FC. the company was also the principal sponsor for Atlético de Kolkata FC who play in the ISL (Indian Super League) football competition. It was also a major sponsor of the Chennai Open ATP tennis tournament as well as the Professional Golf Tour of India. The organization also sponsored the Save the Tiger campaign for protecting India’s tigers. The Brand Ambassadors of Aircel included the former Indian cricket team captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Tamil actor Suriya. Aircel also engaged with female boxer Mary Kom, Tamil actors Dhanush and Sameera Reddy.

We hope that this article will not only help you to get information about the Aircel India Private Limited but also tells you about how the telecom sector and its consumers rapidly changing their choices for market leader. For more Jobs related articles, keep visiting


About the author


Leave a Comment