How Long Does It Take to Get a Master’s Degree?
Well once you’re done with your undergraduate studies, there come the steps after that. The next step is the Master’s degree or post graduation as it is called in many countries. For applying to a master degree, there is a lot of this you require to know. Let us dive into everything you need for a master’s degree and how long it takes.
If you ask this question to quora then people would say that “master degree usually takes 1 to 2 years”. But this answer is incomplete. The length of a master’s degree program depends on the course you choose for masters. Also, it depends on the location where you want to pursue it, Pattern and structure of the course you choose, Thesis or Experiential Learning, you are doing a part-time course or full time and many more. here is the detailed information about how much time the master degree takes usually.
Duration Of Master Degree Depends On Below Given Factors
The Time Period to Pursue a Masters Degree depends on the following factors.
The Course or Program You choose for Master Degree
First of all, if you want to study masters in the course which is unrelated to your bachelor’s degree then possibly it requires a prerequisite course for basic knowledge and to develop the mindset of the field. But it’s in case your bachelor’s course is unrelated to your desired master course.
Now there are many fields in which you can take your skills to the masters level. But the courses like; masters in computer science, natural science, Liberal arts, humanities, business administration are well known so I am drawing your attention towards the time period of this famous master degree courses.
if we look at the scenario of the last few years most people take interest in masters of business and education. if you enroll in the full-time program then it takes 2 years to complete the course. But if you enroll in computer science, liberal arts, humanities, natural science then it will take 1 to 3 years to complete the course.
It also depends on the structure of the program.
The Structure or pattern of the Master degree program and University
There is a total of 4 ways to get a degree. You can select anyone pattern as per your facilitate.
- Full-Time Study
- Part-time Study
- Accelerated Study
- Distance Learning
- Dual Degree / Joint Degree Program
These are the most usual programs which almost every university provides.
Full Time On campus Study
- If you want to dedicate your self to the subject then you should choose this full time on the campus study program. There are lots of benefits and advantages of full time on campus study, like it includes group discussion classes, High-end equipment use, some advanced training and research, Use of a library, use of equipment from laboratory and many more thing. For most of the courses, Full-time master degree program takes 2 years maximum Time for the single master degree course.
Part-time Master Degree Program
- After graduation, some students have family responsibility or financial problem for master studies. So usually they need to do a job for some reasons. For them, there is the part-time master degree program available. you select the program pattern like you can attend evening classes every day or you can attend full-day weekend classes. So Usually these program takes 2 to 5 Years to complete a signal course.
- to lower the time period or duration of masters degree courses, universities have introduced candidates to the professional or accelerated programs in which the time period to complete a master degree has been reduced. This is the accelerated programs and in some region and country, these programs are known as an executive or professional course programs. In these programs, the study of the course is highly intensive. It means they accelerate the learning process and also concentrate on a single course per semester. This program usually takes 12 months; 1 year to complete the course.
Distance Learning / Online Programs
- Some university of masters degree introduced students to new distance learning programs or online programs. which means a student can complete the degree in their own place in the online form. university communicate with students by the medium of email, video lectures, chats and many more. the professors take assignment and test by email and they insist student to strictly follow their instructions. These programs have no time limits, it means you can select the time duration in which you want to complete the course But usually, people prefer to choose 2 years program for the best practice.
Dual Degree / Joint Degree Master Degree Programs
- If you have chosen the program which is unrelated to your master degree then these programs are for you. In these programs, they provide the basic courses which require to study masters degree and some masters study requires additional knowledge of some topics so these dual degrees or joint degree programs include that part also. Usually, these courses are hard to study to as per some universities of the USA these programs usually takes 3 to 5 years to complete the master degree.
Location of your Masters Studies
Another factor which impacts on your master studies in the country in which you want to study masters. We all know that different countries have different education pattern and requirements. So that in some countries your master degree can be completed within 2 years and some countries will take half of the time in comparison to other countries. So you should prefer the country in which your master studies will take much lower time and quality of education is best.